Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Beginning December With Knee Pain...and a question!!! HELP!

Well, tomorrow is the start of a new month and my goal is to post on my blog everyday, even if it's just a small thought.


This morning during boot camp, we were doing sideways squat jumps (if that makes any sense to anyone). For some reason, probably because I'm doing them wrong, my knee is always tender after we do these. Well, my plan was to do boot camp this morning and run five miles tonight. But, if I've learned anything while becoming a runner, it's that you have to listen to your body. My knee has been a little more than tender today, almost to the point of needing ice and no walking. It just feels like I 'tweeked' it the wrong way this morning, so I opted not to run tonight. I will get up at 4:00 and try it again in the morning. :)


Why does this knee pain bother me? I am running the Santa Hustle Half Marathon on December 11th in Sevierville, TN. Scared that this could be a problem? YES! If you know me, I always want to beat myself if I'm capable and I don't know how this knee issue will factor into that.


Now for the question: How do you gauge whether a pain is just a pain or an injury? Any suggestions would be helpful...

3 comments:

  1. Oh no! I'm sorry to hear your knee is hurting you - I know how you feel!

    I always tell my runners if they are experiencing continual pain when they run (like more than once or twice) then you might want to see a doctor. Especially with a race coming up, I would hate to see it be an injury and the race makes it worse.

    I knew I had a knee injury because my pain was persistent. If it is still causing you pain tomorrow or the next day, you might want to have it looked at, just to be sure!

    Take care and good luck!! I hope you feel better soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really can't answer that. I think it's different for everyone. I hope you will feel better in time for the half!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd avoid the sideways squats for a while as well as cutting back on your running. Also add some ice. If it does hurt while running, the a dr appointment might be in store. I wish I had gone sooner-it's been over a month for my pain and finally going in on Tuesday. I had cut running off completely except for a trial run after 2 weeks, but had a little pain (a lot less) and waited two more weeks. Ran twice (very short) ok, but third time hurt.

    ReplyDelete