Saturday, November 5, 2011

Back to Blogging with a Race Update! A BIG ONE!

You know how they say, "the third time is a charm"? Well, I think they may be right. I just completed my 4th mini marathon, the Iron Horse Half Marathon in Midway, Kentucky. Now, it was my fourth half marathon, but it was the 3rd half marathon where my goal was to finish sub 2 hours. And, I DID! Barely, with a 1:59:48, but it's still under 2 hours.



My favorite part of this race? My SHIRT! My birthday was the week before and my 'sole sister', Bobbie, got me the most awesome shirt to wear for the race. If you know my personality, then you completely understand why she just had to buy me this shirt. (If you look closely enough, you can see a little piece of paper pinned to my bib. That's me, always keeping pace times!)


I wasn't sure what to expect from this race mainly because I didn't train the way I would have liked to train, but sometimes what we would like to do isn't always the best way. The course was a rolling course that was out and back both ways. I absolutely loved the fact that I was being cheered on the whole course. There was always someone coming my direction cheering me on. And I loved cheering on the runners coming the opposite direction as well.


This course also solidified why I love the state of Kentucky. The race was in one of the most beautiful counties in Kentucky, Woodford County. Miles and miles of rolling hills with beautiful farms, horses for days, and grass that is the most beautiful shade of blue when the wind blows.


Getting ready to cross the finish line, still looking at my watch...always pacing.




Here we are, post race, with Mark and Jeff, two other Danville runners.


This will definitely be a race that I run again and again. I highly recommend running this race if you are ever in the central Kentucky area around October. By far, the best half marathon I've ever run! :)

4 comments:

  1. Congrats and great job!! Sub 2 is awesome no matter how many seconds you are in front of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on that sub 2! Ah..I would love to sub 2!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I ran this one too- which I would have known you did as well! Way to get your sub-2:00!

    ReplyDelete