Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Marathon Training Update


Well, so far so good! Last week, Bobbie and I did 4, 4, 4, and 6 mile runs for our second week of marathon training. We did all of our runs together, except for one. This particular run was done on the treadmill at the gym for me. And I have to say, I loathe the treadmill. I would rather bundle up and head outside, but my schedule wouldn't let me last Thursday. So, I hopped on the treadmill while Jeremiah hopped on the bike.


I think my mindset of the treadmill causes me to feel like I'm running so much faster than I feel outside. A 10 minute mile on the treadmill feels like an 8 minute mile outside for me. I don't know why. Any ideas? I would love to hear them. :)


But, I had a breakthrough on the treadmill last Thursday. I ran my first 4 miles on the treadmill in under 40 minutes. For some reason, I'm stuck on a 10 minute mile on the mill, when I run about a 9:35 outside. Well, on Thursday, I finished 4 miles in 38:31. It literally took all I had to not jump up and down on the treadmill. Wouldn't want people to think I'm crazy! (Wink, wink.)


Our six mile run was FABULOUS! We ran it in about 58:18 and didn't feel like we were running nearly as fast as we were. I think maybe the Pineapple Roctane GU at mile 3 may have helped us along!


Tonight was my first training run for this week. We didn't run yesterday. We went skiing and snow tubing instead! :)


I ran on the treadmill tonight and finished my 4 miles in 37:47!!! I think I will use the treadmill for speed work from now on!


The picture is from our trip to Perfect North yesterday! Thanks for following my journey!

3 comments:

  1. I have a really hard time running on the treadmill - I can't run faster than a 15 minute mile.

    Congratulations on a good start to your marathon training!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been struggling on the treadmill. It used to feel easy, now it feels hard. I'm convinced I'm doing something wonky with my form on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know the feeling ladies! I dread the dreadmill! STILL!

    ReplyDelete