Thursday, February 27, 2014

Training Update

I'm in full force half marathon training for the Kentucky Derby Festival Mini Marathon on April 19th in Louisville. 
 
This race was my first half marathon after having Chapman, so my goal last year was to finish with at least a 2:30:00 or less. I finished in 2:13:57. Needless to say, I was pretty pleased with that. It's not my best time, but not my worst either.
 
My next race was the Iron Horse Half in Midway in October. I made sure to take plenty of training time for this one so that I could hopefully finish better that I had the time I had run this race pre-pregnancy. When I ran it pre-pregnancy, I finished in 1:59:48. This is the only time I had ever finished in under 2 hours. So, training was rough because I wanted to beat my past time. I'm glad to say that I did beat it with a 1:59:36. Only by 12 seconds, but hey, it's 12 seconds and a PR!!!
 
Now...for this year's Derby.
 
First and foremost, this race is VERY flat. Now, don't get me wrong, I like a flat course, but I like some rolling hills too. I feel like too much flatness, and I'm constantly using the same muscles in the same ways and my legs get tired faster than if there are some hills to give my legs a break.
 
Goal: Being that this is a flat and pretty fast course, I am hopeful that I can get a half-marathon PR for this race. And if my training is an indicator, I feel like it's looking pretty good. My long run last weekend was an 8 miler and I averaged 8:55 per mile, and honestly felt like I could go for five more. My average pace for he month of February at this point is an 8:58 per mile. I need to run a 9:05 pace to beat my current PR. So, I'm hopeful, but I'm not expectant. I know that race day can bring lots of things that we aren't expecting. 
 
With that said, just run! Just run, enjoy my friends, and have a good time. Not to mention, this will be my stepfather's first mini, so GO STONEY!
 
My long time running buddy Bobbie got me a gift once that said, "Definition of a good run - sun in your face, wind at your back, friend by your side."

1 comment: